Results of blood tests, smear tests, x-rays etc may be obtained
- online 24 hours a day including weekends
- you must have signed up to use SystmOnline at the practice – read about this under “Online Services” here: patient info
- ringing the surgery personally between 10.00 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Friday (but not before 10:00 am please as this is a very busy time for patients wanting to book appointments)
- at the Health Centre by calling in
Currently we can send you a text (SMS) message if we need to discuss any investigation results. We will not send texts for normal results.
Your doctor may leave a message for you, which will be passed on by our staff. To preserve confidentiality you may be asked to identify yourself, and information will not be passed to another caller. Your own doctor is not always immediately available and any urgent problem related to an abnormal result will be passed to the duty doctor for that day.
Please bear in mind that tests organised for you by hospital clinics or outpatients are NOT routinely forwarded by the hospital to the surgery; the results go back directly to the requesting hospital doctor or clinic.
Time frames for results:
- Most blood results are available within 7 working days, some specific tests get sent to specialist centres by the lab which might take considerably longer
- Urine culture reports take 4 – 5 working days
- Fungal tests – microscopy results are usually available in 7 working days but culture results can take 4 weeks.
- Biopsy reports generally take 3 weeks.
- X-ray, ultrasound and other scan results are usually available in 3 weeks time
- Some urgent tests are returned to the surgery by telephone / fax by the lab so we might contact you based on the report.