Self Help

Many minor illnesses such as cold and flu are easily managed by patients without consulting their doctor.   For advice on this and on other conditions please utilise the information on the following sites;


A parents guide from birth to five is a useful resource for parents of young children, see link below

Healthy early years

Kirklees council has a dedicated website to support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities for age groups 0-25 years Kirklees Local Offer


You  must  book  your  pre-travel  nurse  consultation  at  least  6  weeks  before  travel.

We can provide vaccinations for travel. You will need to complete a Travel Questionnaire to assess your vaccination needs and then make an appointment. You can download our travel questionnaire below or collect one from the Surgery Reception. 

travel questionnaire 2017

If you leave it until the last minute, we may not be able to accommodate you with a travel clinic appointment and if you need a course of 2 or 3 vaccines, there will not be time to fit them in and/or develop immunity before you travel. Some vaccinations are not available on the NHS and you will have to pay for these.  The practice nurse will advise you of the fees in advance.

Travel immunisation services are also available from other providers.  Please look online or in Yellow Pages under travel clinics.  Patients are free to shop around for the best deal.

The NHS advice website fitfortravel is very useful to check what is recommended for your travel destination.


Flu Vaccination

Seasonal Flu Vaccination

Flu (also known as influenza) is a highly infectious illness caused by the flu virus. It spreads rapidly through small droplets coughed or sneezed into the air by an infected person.   For most people, flu is unpleasant but not serious. You will usually recover within a week. Studies have shown that flu vaccines provide effective protection against the flu, although protection may not be complete and may vary between people. Protection from the vaccine gradually decreases and flu strains change over time. Therefore, new vaccines are made each year and people at risk of flu are encouraged to be vaccinated every year. The flu vaccination is offered to people in at-risk groups. These people are at greater risk of developing serious complications if they catch flu, such as pregnant women and elderly people.


Should I get the Flu Vaccination?

For most people, flu is unpleasant but not serious. You will usually recover within a week. However, certain people are at greater risk of developing serious complications of flu, such as bronchitis and pneumonia. These conditions may require hospital treatment. The flu vaccine is offered free to people who are at risk, to protect them from catching flu and developing serious complications.


At-risk groups

It is recommended that you have a flu jab if you:

  • are 65 years old or over
  • are pregnant (see below)
  • have a serious medical condition (see below)
  • are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility (not including prisons, young offender institutions or university halls of residence)
  • are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
  • are a frontline health or social care worker (see below)

If you are the parent of a child who is over six months old and has a long-term condition on the list below, speak to your GP about the flu vaccine. Your child’s condition may get worse if they catch flu.


Pregnant women

It is recommended that all pregnant women should have the flu vaccine, whatever stage of pregnancy they’re in. This is because there is good evidence that pregnant women have an increased risk of developing complications if they get flu, particularly from the H1N1 strain. Studies have shown that the flu vaccine can be safely and effectively given during any trimester of pregnancy. The vaccine does not carry risks for either the mother or baby. In fact, studies have shown that mothers who have had the vaccine while pregnant pass some protection to their babies, which lasts for the first few months of their lives.


People with medical conditions

The flu vaccine is offered free to anyone who is over six months of age and has one of the following medical conditions:

  • chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma that requires regular steroid medication, COPD orbronchitis
  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological disease, such as a stroke, TIA or post-polio syndrome
  • diabetes
  • a weakened immune system due to conditions such as HIV, or treatments that suppress the immune system such as chemotherapy

If you live with someone who has a weakened immune system, you may also be able to have a flu vaccine. Speak to your GP about this.


Frontline health or social care workers

Employers are responsible for ensuring that arrangements are in place for frontline healthcare staff to have the flu vaccine. Outbreaks of flu can occur in health and social care settings, and staff, patients and residents are at risk of infection. Frontline health and social care staff should protect themselves by having the flu vaccine to prevent the spread of flu to colleagues and other members of the community.  This should be available at your place of employment or from your employer’s Occupational Health provider. If you care for someone who is elderly or disabled, speak to your GP about getting vaccinated against seasonal flu. You should also ensure that the person you care for has the flu jab.



From September 1 2013, a new annual nasal spray flu vaccine will be offered to all children aged two, three and four years as part of the NHS childhood vaccination programme. It will also be offered to children aged 2-18 with long-term health conditions like diabetes, heart disease and lung disease. Children aged six months to 2 years with long-term health conditions aren’t able to have the nasal spray and will get the injected flu vaccine instead. Read more information about:

  • the flu vaccine for children
  • which children can have the flu vaccine?
  • children’s flu vaccine side effects
  • children’s flu vaccine frequently asked questions


Who should not have the flu vaccination?

You should not have the flu vaccine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a flu vaccine or one of its ingredients. This happens very rarely.

If you have had a confirmed very serious (anaphylactic) reaction to egg, have an egg allergy with uncontrolled asthma or another type of allergy to egg, your GP may decide that you should be vaccinated with an egg-free vaccine. One such vaccine is available for this flu season (called Preflucel, manufactured by Baxter Healthcare). If no egg-free vaccine is available, your GP will identify a suitable vaccine with a low egg (ovalbumin) content. Depending on the severity of your egg allergy, your GP may decide to refer you to a specialist for vaccination in hospital. If you are ill with a fever, do not have your flu jab until you have recovered.

Illness Certification

Fit Notes  – a “Med3”      (formerly call sick notes)

Sickness of seven days or less

If you’re off work sick for seven days or less, your employer should not ask for medical evidence that you’ve been ill. Your employer can ask you to confirm that you’ve been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification. Self-certification forms usually include details such as:

  • information about your sickness or illness
  • the date your sickness started
  • the date your sickness ended

These dates may be days that you don’t normally work. For example, your sickness could start or end on a Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday. Many employers have their own self-certification forms. If your employer doesn’t have their own form, instead they may use an SC2 form from HM Revenue & Customs: Employee’s Statement of Sickness


Sickness of more than seven days

If you’re off work sick for more than seven days, your employer will usually ask you to provide evidence or proof that you’ve been ill. The seven days include days that you don’t normally work. So when you work out how long you’ve been off sick, you should include weekends and bank holidays.

They will normally ask for a fit note from your GP. However, this will also depend on your employer’s company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note. A fit note is the informal name for the Statement of Fitness for Work. Fit notes replaced sick notes from April 6 2010. A fit note must be signed by a doctor, such as your GP. On the fit note, your GP can advise that:

  • you are ‘not fit for work’
  • you ‘may be fit for work’

For more information, including what ‘may be fit for work’ means, see What are fit notes?

If you need a fit note, you should contact your GP practice. They may advise you to make an appointment or book a telephone consultation. If you’re under the care of a hospital, your fit note may be issued by the hospital, rather than by your GP. There is never a charge from an NHS doctor for providing a fit note if you’re off work sick for more than seven days.


Charges for fit notes

Some employers may request a fit note, for example, from employees who repeatedly take time off sick, even if, each time they’re off work, it’s for seven days or less. For sickness of seven days or less, your GP practice may charge you to provide a fit note. Your GP practice can tell you what their charges are.

Childhood Vaccination

Our nurses cordinate our childhood immunisation programme. Please use the following link to read about the UK’s vaccination schedule.